Hi! Thanks for your interest in the Barn to Yarn experience! I am so excited to offer this to fiber people, because to add a face to the fiber is so important to so many fiber artists, and I simply love to share the farm, my love for fiber, and the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.
Anyone who follows me on social media will have seen me use the hashtag #barntoyarn ... well, now I want to bring it to life.
I am offering a limited number of opportunities to come to the farm, choose your fleece "on the hoof", help me shear it, and then, depending on what you're interested in, we can begin to process it here, dye it (I am a Redding Method certified teacher), card it, blend it, spin it, right here on the farm - all in one spectacular BARN TO YARN experience!
These days will be specifically tailored to you, what you want and what you want to learn, so your Barn To Yarn experience will be all about YOU.
- Not a spinner? I can offer spinning lessons or custom spinning of your fleece into the yarn you want for the project you have in mind.
- Spinner but not a knitter / crocheter? I can make your yarn into the item of your choice, just choose your pattern!
- Gather some friends together and come as a group! I can accommodate up to six people at a time.
- Want to make a little vacation of it? Spend a couple days immersed in fleece? Message me - we can work that out too.
Fleeces available will include but are not limited to: Navajo Churro, Icelandic, Icelandic x, Jacob, Mohair, Pygora (types A, B and C), and both Suri and Huacaya Alpaca. Not all fleece will be available at all times, but you are welcome to request pictures and reserve a fleece.
Located Bryant, AL, 25 minutes outside Chattanooga.
$40 non-refundable deposit for the day, per person; groups of three or more $30 per person. Covers fleece choice, shearing, skirting, and lunch and drinks!
All wool (sheep) $15 per pound, raw. Fleeces must be purchased either by the full or half fleece. Weights will vary.
Alpaca: $25 per pound, raw. Fleeces must be purchased either by the full or half fleece. Weights will vary. Cria fleeces $35 per pound.
Mohair / Pygora: Staple over 6” - price will vary.
Staple 3”-6” $45-$70 per pound, depending on fleece.
Dye tuition: $50 per person. Discount for groups. Basic dye skills, taught Redding Method. Minimum 1 hour. All materials provided.
Spinning tuition: $25 per person per hour.
Hand / drum carding / blending: $10 per hour. Additional materials (silk / blending fiber / firestar / angelina etc) extra and need to be requested ahead so I can make sure I have enough / the right colors.
The price of custom dyeing and / or spinning will vary according to the type of fleece and the type of yarn required.
- You are welcome to purchase multiple half fleeces! - If your chosen barn to yarn fleece is going to be dyed here and won’t be dry in time to take advantage of other parts of the experience, such as the spinning lesson, I can provide prepped fleeces for lessons and / or purchase. Just let me know in advance! - If you want to make it into a vacation, I can do airport pickup from Chattanooga. There is a Days Inn in Trenton, GA, beautiful B&B in Bryant, or if you want to bring an RV / Camper there is Cloudland Canyon just a 20 minute drive away. I will do transport to and from the farm if you need. If you want an extra day, I’m happy to run you into Chattanooga for the day. It’s a great city with a lot to offer. - A light lunch is included! If you have special dietary needs, let me know in advance. - Want something I haven’t mentioned here? Let me know! If I can make it work, I will! PM via Facebook, or text / call 706-280-7807.