There's some stuff gone down this week that most certainly doesn't come under my heading of 'meant to be'. Like the coyote pack attack that left one of my very favorite home bred does dead, and my LGD traumatized.
We've known for a while that running one young female Great Pyrenees on 45 acres is a risk, but in the absence of being able to find a second suitable dog (and I've had a couple of unsuitable ones that left me feeling burned and wary), it was a risk I just had to take.
Our good friend and veterinarian also keeps GPs, and we had planned to breed our Merry-dog to his male at the appropriate time, and then keep three of the pups to help her keep guard, but an unexpected incident, requiring neutering of the male put the kibosh on that.
My husband has been reminding me that finding an alternative stud dog before Merry came into season would probably be prudent, so a couple days ago I started to look around. Plenty of dogs, but none that looked right.
Then after finding my poor doe dead (I'll spare you the details, but let's just say it was a bad one), I knew that I couldn't wait for pups. I started to look for a dog to back Merry up. Again, lots of dogs. Bad dogs, OK dogs, dogs that are seven hour each way drive away, dogs that just don't fall into my budget, dogs that are being pitched at LGDs, but clearly have their for sale photos taken in a house somewhere.
I talked to a few people whose dogs seemed like they might be a good fit, but every situation had some kind of issue; mostly they were either out of my price range, or too far away. They could all possibly be do-able, but not without some kind of problems needing solving (money / time). There was a dog available in MO, with a possible transport available down to GA, and that seemed to be the best option.
No sooner had I gotten off the phone with the owner of the dog in MO, than I got an email response from a person I had contacted the night before. Turned out that he lived in the same town as me (what are the chances - the population is only just over 3,000 people!) and the dog was currently living with his goats and chickens and rabbits. I headed over there and met with them, and agreed to take Beau and see if he would work for our farm.
My point with all this rambling is this: in all the previous situations, there was some kind of problem. I could have forced the issue and solved the problem - robbed Peter to pay Paul, bribed my husband to make an unreasonable drive across three states - but I didn't because something was telling me to hold off. Something didn't feel right. And I've learned, mostly the hard way, to listen to my gut instinct.
Maybe I am learning, after all, to relax and let things be. Trust that what will be, will be. Believe in the power of meant to be.